The modern enterprise is rapidly evolving with user demand for next-generation communications, applications and services challenging the most robust network architectures. Organizations require a reliable, high-performance and scalable local area network (LAN) that can withstand the test of time and deliver virtually unlimited bandwidth as applications and services evolve.
We know passive optical LAN is the best network option to support a diverse array of applications, such as voice, video, conferencing services, wireless access and monitoring services all on one converged network. But, at what cost?
This concern stems from what the industry historically knows about traditional copper-based LANs. Not only is this legacy LAN infrastructure unable to deliver the benefits required in today’s workplace, it also comes with an extremely hefty price tag to upgrade and maintain.
What if we told you that passive optical LAN delivers everything a business could demand (and more) WITH significant cost savings and lower total cost of ownership (TCO)? For once the old adage ‘If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is’ does not apply. Even the most skeptical audience cannot deny the cost savings passive optical LAN provides.
- Significantly Less Equipment – reduces cabling infrastructure cost by eliminating expensive hardware network equipment
- Withstands the Test of Time – delivers a lifecycle of more than 10 years, limiting the need, and associated expenses, of continuous network upgrades
- Converged Network – converges multiple services and applications (video, data, wireless access and voice services) onto a single fiber dramatically simplifying operations
- Lower Maintenance Needs – reduces maintenance costs due to less equipment and simplified centralized management
- Optimize Time and Resource Allocation – lowers training and certification requirements compared to active Ethernet LAN; time, resources and expertise can be better allocated to other business needs
- Energy Savings – requires no power in the network and little cooling needs, reducing energy costs by up to 50 percent compared to copper-based LAN
Space Savings Impact on Bottom Line:
- Eliminates Telecom Closets – provides an opportunity for a smarter use of already limited in-building real estate
- Revenue-Generating Opportunities – creates opportunity to reallocate space saved through the elimination of telecom closets. The precious in-building real estate (either in green builds or through network upgrades) can be used for additional office space, on-site storage facilities, or even hospital rooms.
The need for high-speed, secure, and reliable connectivity is not slowing down. When considering the options to future-proof LANs, modern enterprises must consider the most cost-efficient option in the short and long-term.
Through its network of experts, APOLAN is the source for all things optical LAN. We invite you to explore the number of resources currently available to learn more about everything this technology has to offer, including the cost-saving benefits of passive optical LAN.